How to Run a Pumpkin Growing Competition
Calling all primary schools! Are you ready for National Children’s Gardening Week from 29th May – 6th June?! It’s a week-long campaign to get all children outside, sowing, growing and learning. The benefits of gardening are extensive; it improves children’s emotional and mental wellbeing, educational outcomes and social relationships, and enhances pupils’ creativity and concentration (1).
The last week in May is perfect growing time – seeds germinate readily in the warmer weather, and there’s no need to protect seedlings from the cold. Perfect for pumpkins, in fact! If you're not sure how to grow pumpkins with kids, find our guide here.
How to run a Pumpkin Growing Competition
- Pick a 'harvest' date and an attribute by which to measure the winner. This could be weight, diameter, colour, 'ugliness', or a combination!
- Distribute your seeds and let them know how to get involved and win.
- Sow seeds in late May/early June.
- Plant into the open ground or a very large tub in mid-June and water well over the summer.
- Watch as flowers fade to be replaced by pumpkins, which will grow steadily, ready to be harvested in October, just in time for Halloween.
- Measure the pumpkins using your desired attribute. This can be done in-person in a playground, or by parents at home.
- Pick your winner!
To help you get involved, we’ve put together a class set of Pumpkin Growing Kits exclusively for schools. The class set contains everything you’d need to run this pumpkin growing competition with your class, and includes a prize for you to give away to the winner.
Kits cost £60 and comprise:
- 30 orange bamboo pots
- 30 Coir compost discs
- 6 packets of pumpkin seeds
- Winner’s prize – a Paint Your Own Butterfly House
Please order by the 21st May 2021 to claim this offer – we’ll do our best to have it to you ready for half term or the first week back.
We are proud to have been chosen by Save The Children to be their charity partner during NCGW, and we will be donating 10% of all sales during the week to Save The Children. All money raised will enable Save The Children to ensure that more children have the essentials that they need to explore their world, to learn, grow and develop.
If you’d like any recommendations or help deciding, we’re happy to help. Please contact us on 01440 782071, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or request a call back.